الدرس السابع عشر .للغة الانجليزية التالتة اعدادي

الدرس السابع عشر


The present continuous


Yes / no questions

Examples


Are you reading a story



Yes, I am


Is Hamid listening to the radio


No, he isn’t


Is he writing a letter


Yes, he is


Is Loubna studying


Yes, she is


Is your cat sleeping


No, it isn’t


Are Kamal and Najib travelling to Marrakesh


No, they aren’t


Are they playing soccer


Yes, they are



w/h questions

What are you doing


I am painting my room


What is Houda doing


She is knitting


When are you travelling


I’m travelling this evening


Where are they going to this weekend




They are going to the stadium



Remember
A single, silent e at the end of the word is dropped before ing

example: come - coming
I am coming home. You are coming home. He is coming home

.
But: ee at the end of the word is not changed
example: agree - agreeing



The final consonant after a short, stressed vowel is doubled before ing.

example: sit - sitting
I am sitting on the sofa. You are sitting on the sofa. He is sitting on the sofa



 
The letter l as final consonant after a vowel is always doubled before ing

example: travel - travelling


I am travelling around. You are travelling around. He is travelling around


Important: This applies only for British English; in American English there is usually only one l



An ie at the end of a word becomes y before ing

example: lie - lying


I am lying in bed. You are lying in bed. He is lying in bed



Afirmative / negative forms

Full / short forms


Examples


I am playing. - I'm playing.
I am not playing. - I'm not playing.
He is playing. - He's playing.
He is notplaying. - He's not playing. / He isn't playing.
We are playing. - We're playing.
We are not playing. - We're not playing. /We aren't playing